Small Business Development

The NCTC/Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a non-profit professional business consulting service providing assistance and training to owners, managers and employees of small businesses in Cooke, Denton and Montague counties. The NCTC/SBDC also works with potential entrepreneurs in the planning stages of their business. As a part of a nationwide network of Small Business Development Centers, the NCTC/SBDC is able to provide assistance, information and resources through this network and regional specialty centers. With locations in Gainesville, Corinth, Denton and Bowie, the NCTC/SBDC offers assistance that might otherwise be unavailable to small business owners and entrepreneurs.

Items to Consider Before Opening a Business

Additionally, the Hickory Creek Economic Development Corporation has compiled the following helpful information for your convenience:
Items to Consider Location & Phone Numbers
1. Secure a copy of “Application for Employers Identification Number” (Form SS-4) from the Internal Revenue Service. Internal Revenue Service
825 E Rundberg Lane,
Suite H-4
Austin, Texas 78753
Phone: 800-829-1040
IRS Website
2. If a business is to be operated under an assumed name, the name under which it proposes to operate should be filed with the Denton County Clerk. Prior to filing the assumed name, contact the office of the County Clerk to see if any other business presently operates under the name. Denton County Clerk’s Office
P.O. Box 2187
Denton, TX 76202
Phone: 940-349-2010
County Clerk's Website
3. For corporate certificates and all information pertaining to filing of articles or incorporation or authority of foreign corporation to do business in Texas, contact the Secretary of State. Secretary of State Corporations Section
P.O. Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711
Phone: 512-463-5555
Secretary of State Website
4. Owners and managers of new businesses should contact the Comptroller’s Office of the State of Texas for information on Sales Taxes and other laws administered by this office. Comptroller’s Field Office
400 S Carroll Boulevard.
Suite 1000
Denton, TX 76201
Phone: 940-891-4790
Comptroller's Website
5. Check with the State to determine if any statewide permits or licenses are required. Texas Department of Economic Development
Business Information and Referral Office
P.O. Box 12728
Austin, TX 78711
Phone: 800-888-0511
6. Information about licenses and fees pertaining to the sale, transportation or storage of alcoholic beverages can be obtained from the Liquor Control Board. Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commission
306 N Loop 288, Suite 126
Denton, TX 76209
Phone: 940-349-2877
Commission Website
7. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to maintain records on wages, hours and other items. Employers having workers subject to minimum wage provisions must display certain posters where employees can readily see them. Wage and Hour Division, Dallas District Office,
U.S. Department of Labor
The Offices at Brookhollow
1701 E Lamar Boulevard.
Suite 170, Box 22
Arlington, TX 76006
Phone: 817-861-2150
Department of Labor Website